Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Oil pulling - the Naturopath's new black.

Just like everyone else, naturopaths have fads that come up every now and then. It could be a new piece of research, a vitamin deficiency trend, or a new superfood. In my group of naturopath friends, a new trend has been gaining in popularity and so I thought I should share this amazing health gospel so its not just for naturopaths!




So what is oil pulling?

Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic (traditional Indian medicine) ritual, which was introduced to the western world in the early 90s. It involves keeping a spoonful of oil in your mouth then swishing and 'pulling' it between your teeth for 20 minutes. This action provides a powerful detoxifying and cleansing effect for our mouths.

Our mouth is a large city of bacteria, fungi, viruses and other toxins. Candida albicans and Streptococcus are well known residents to this land. These products and their toxic waste by-products are known to cause gum disease, tooth decay and can also contribute to other health conditions such as arthritis and heart disease. By doing a 20 minute oil pulling each day, you are removing these harmful products from the mouth.

According to Bruce Fife, naturopath and author of Oil Pulling Therapy: Detoxifying and Healing the Body Through Oral Cleansing, the health benefits of oil pulling include:

  • Brighter, whiter teeth
  • Healthier gums
  • Prevents bad breath
  • Increased energy
  • Clearer mind
  • Decreased headaches
  • Clearer sinuses
  • Alleviated allergies
  • Better sleep
  • Clearer skin
  • Regulated menstrual cycles
  • Improved lymphatic system
  • Improved PMS symptoms

Such a simple, easy and cheap method to help your health, who would have thought it?

How to oil pull

Oil pulling is best done first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach.

Spoon a tablespoon of organic, cold-pressed vegetable oil (I found coconut oil is best - olive oil goes very bitter) into your mouth and swish it around for 20 minutes, then spit it out. While swishing your oil you do some some jobs around the house - have a shower, clean up, make breakfast, water the garden... you don't need to sit there and watch the clock tick by! In fact, I've written half of this blog while oil pulling!

Never swallow the oil, as it is full of toxins and rinse your mouth out afterwards.

20 minutes can be a very long time for first time pullers, so just go as long as you can. Some people who have a strong gag reflex may need to be spit earlier, but please stick with it... its so easy to do to improve your health!

My personal oil pulling experience

I'm still a newbie to this, but I really like it. My first attempt with olive oil only lasted 5 minutes, as the bitterness of the oil was putting me off and it feels very odd to be swishing a thick liquid in your mouth. With my second pulling experience I used coconut oil and lasted 17 minutes before my gag reflex came in. I have to say, my mouth feels amazing - so clean and my teeth have that 'just brushed' feeling. Hello new morning ritual!

Are your oil pullings showing?


Don't knock it until you try it - I urge to give it a go, even if its just once!


No comments:

Post a Comment